HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OUT OF A TRIP TO THE BEACH| FT. THE OBA ELEGUSHI BEACH
A Day Out on the beach Featuring Beaches In Lagos State, Nigeria
As a Pisces, my zodiac sign is water and symbols are two fishes. Ever since I learnt this, I low-key thought I had some “maami” water connection and so I avoided pools, beaches and all. Until I visited a pool in my early university days and realised I felt peace and calm when around water. Well, the story goes on but now you definitely know while visiting beaches in Lagos was one of the things I did during my short trip and so I am sharing my experience and also how to have fun on the beaches in Lagos
The Oba Elegushi Private Beach
This beach is a beautiful place to spend a fun day out with family or friends. A lot of events can take place at the beach, this includes birthdays, hangouts or picnics. Are you Thinking of where to have a reunion without splurging on a girls trip like the flossy posse, then the Oba Elegushi Beach is the perfect spot for you.
A quick summary of our trip
We arrived at the beach around 3pm and we went on a Sunday because according to statistics weekends are more lively at the Oba Elegushi beach than weekdays. Mode of transportation was an Uber and the Ride from Gbagada to lekki where the beach is located cost us N3100. We paid a thousand Naira each at the gate and got into the beach. We spent time taking pictures, playing with the water, screaming our lungs out during a ride on the swing and lastly partied at a bar on the beach. It was an awesome experience and my friends made it worth it.
So, I am sharing this experience with you all as a different kind of Gift’s life lately post and I will be giving you tips on how to make the most out of a trip to the beach especially beaches in Lagos. Let’s go!
5 Things You Will Need To Enjoy A Beach Trip
1. The right attire: I think this is pretty obvious. It’s a beach so please don’t go wearing 6 inch high stilettos and all. Keep all that fashion for the runway or street way. The beach is a fun place and the appropriate dress code for the beach is “freedom”. Wear something light, something comfortable and yes show some skin.
So for my outfit, I wore this short and one of my favorite tops. The idea was to show off my legs and you guys know my favourite way of looking sexy and showing off skin is with my legs. I know they are not perfect but they look lovely nonetheless.
Also remember to carry along sunglasses or a beach hat and swimsuits if you plan on swimming. Don’t forget the flip-flops too or be like me and go bare foot.
2. Beach chairs, blanket or mat: You can’t afford to sit on the sand as it can be pretty hot during the day. So carry along beach chairs especially if the beach you are visiting doesn’t have beach chairs or don’t rent like the Oba Elegushi beach. If a chair is too much task for you then carry along a blanket, roll up a mat or just throw a scarf into your totes.
The Oba Elegushi beach has no sitting facilities unlike other beaches in Lagos like the takwa bay beach where you can rent chairs. So I advice you go with a blanket or mat.
3. Photography Devices: You might want to document what happened on the beach for memory sake. So go along with a camera or a phone for taking pictures and videos. Be careful though, the waves are strong. So don’t go real close with your devices.
4. Food and drinks: Most beaches in Lagos allow you to bring your own food and drinks and I think this is an amazing thing. Because food and drinks on the beach can be quite exorbitant. So carry along Your Own food and drinks especially if you want to have budget friendly fun on the beach.
5. Friends: Just because they make it more pleasurable and besides who is going to take all those beautiful photos of you just like this one my girlfriend took of me.
How to have fun on the beaches in Lagos, Here are 5 things to do.
- Write you name on the sands of time just like I did. Even though the waves will wash it up in no time, you know you now belong to team I left my mark on the beach.
- Build up a sandcastle if you got the time and energy for one. Just so you can check it off your bucket list.
- Play games: This is definitely my favourite thing to do on the beach. Get involved in beach sports like beach volleyball or handball. Splash and play with the water.
Take a ride on the swing like we did. If you are acrophobic, you might want to skip this.
Carry along a deck of card and play with your friends or play with the water like my friend Olamide did.
Not to forget, you can totally ride a Horse for as low as N300
- Take pictures: Take lots of pictures on the Beach and some of the best places to take pictures at the Oba Elegushi beach are along the coastline and on the rocks
- Disturb the peace: What’s a trip to the beach without some good music and dancing. Some beaches allow external music but some don’t. However at the Oba Elegushi beach there are several bars where a string of good music are playing. So loosen up and dance!. If there’s no source of music at the beach where you are then plug-in your headset. Play some great songs and dance!. Remember, you only live once.
- Watch the Sunset: I know I said 5 but this is just too good to leave out. If you are opportune to be at the beach till late, then watch the sunset. Trust me it’s a truly beautiful sight to see
Did you notice I didn’t mention go swimming. I will never advice anyone to go swimming in beaches in Lagos because I have never seen a lifeguard on the beach. So stay safe and stay away from swimming.
Some Things You Should Know About The Oba Elegushi beach.
If you are going along with kids make sure to hold on to them as this beach can be crowded. Also watch them to ensure they do not pick things on the beach as the Oba Elegushi beach is a far cry from neat.
If you plan on visiting one of the bars , I will recommend the 100% bar because their music is really good. However, their drinks are quite expensive. I forgot to take a picture of the menu but the drinks are quite expensive.
- A bottle of soda goes for N500
- A pack of cranberry juice for N1800
- A bottle of Magic moments for N7500.
These are the few I remember.
You should totally try the noodles and Asun ( peppered goat meat) sold at the entrance to the bar. They sell for as low as N500 and they taste real good.
Lastly be security conscious as beaches in Lagos are not so secured. So keep your gadgets properly and try as much as possible to leave the beach before its gets so late
Beaches in Lagos are beautiful and fun-filled. So go right ahead and plan that trip to the beach today.
Have you ever been to the beach? If yes, how was the experience? and if no, then what are you waiting for…..